Most mum are sensitive to where your children are living. Nowadays, sleeping on the floor is almost universal in most households. Modern houses may contain several bedrooms, but most families still find it is convenient to sleep on the floor. Well, many questions about this subject have come up. Can the baby sleep on the floor?
You are not the only parent who has chosen to let her child sleep on the floor. The Montessori method allows children to sleep on the floor since it supports giving your child independence by clothing and furniture to their level which they can access. However, before you make such a decision, there are several aspects that you should be knowledgeable about.
Things to Consider for Baby Sleeping on Floor
Letting your baby sleep on the flow is not wrong in any way so long as you ensure where your baby is sleeping is comfortable. In case you have chosen to make a bed on the floor. The following are safety measures that you should in mind.
• Ensure the roll or mattress that you have selected as your bedding is not too soft or too hard. Let it be cosy so that your child can sleep comfortably.
• Ensure you keep away kinds of stuff like beanbags, pillows and carpets that can suffocate the baby
• Ensure the room is well vacuumed and clean by ensuring there is no accumulation of dust which could expose your baby to the risk of getting infections.
• Place your baby away from curtains, drapes electrical appliances such as wiring and plugs. All these can tangle up the baby, and it increases risks such as suffocation and electric shocks.
• Ensure the room is well ventilated to allow free circulation of air which is elementary for the child’s growth. Additionally, maintain the room temperature between 27-28 degrees
• Keep away household items such as chairs, lamp shades, stools and speakers so that he might not knock it over at night which might lead to accidents.
• If you are using pesticides in your house ensure they are chemical free and they don’t pose a threat to your child’s health.
• Train your child to sleep on her back to prevent cases of sudden infant death syndrome
• If you train your child to sleep on the floor consistently she will get used to it.additionally, follow bedtime routine like applying lotion and changing dresses so that she can know it is time to sleep.
Don’t worry if your child doesn’t like sleeping on the floor because with time she will get used to it. However, some ethnic communities discourage this idea because they believe dampness from the floors can cause arthritis or rheumatism in later life.However, research has been done to disapprove this traditional belief because it doesn’t have scientific justifications.
8 benefits for sleeping on the floor You Should Know
Well, to make further justifications why you can let your child sleep on the floor we shall not miss exploring related benefits.
• It is cost effective
It is not economical to spend money buying a crib that will only be used in for a short period. On the other hand, sleeping on the floor requires no cost all you need to do is to make your floor free from factors which could not be conducive for your baby. Otherwise, you will not need any other expensive material to make it possible.
• Sleeping on the floor is more natural
Sleeping on the floor is a valid practice than using beds. Sleeping on beds with old mattresses can lead to misaligned positions which can affect your baby even later in life. Therefore, once the baby adapts to sleeping on the floor, she will not face the risk of developing unhealthy postures and curves.
• It creates a nursery that is baby-friendly
Sleeping on the floor gives a chance the baby to explore the room on their own instead of yelling from the crib only for the mother to come to him or her. All you require as the parent is to ensure there are no dangerous objects in the room which can expose the baby to injuries.
• It helps parents to get extra sleep
Babies can be disturbing when they don’t get enough sleep.Therefore once the baby can sleep on the floor when she wakes up, she will find a lot of activities to get involved in hence she will rarely cry. You can even provide dolls and other playing materials to where she sleeps so that when she is up, she can have what to keep her busy. Therefore when you successfully achieve this, you will enjoy adequate sleep as a parent.
• More snuggles
Bedtime routines like changing child clothes can be cumbersome on a crib.therefore when you embrace this idea you will go and lie next to the baby and snuggle her back to sleep. It also creates a binding experience.
• It eliminates the transition to a more massive bed when she grows up
The choosing bed floor is convenient since you will not have to shift from different sizes of bed because your child is growing. It never gets outdated you child will enjoy sleeping on the floor for long, so you don’t have to change beds regularly.
• The baby receives access to cooler air
Sleeping on the floor guarantees access to fresh air which will reduce sweating effect at night. This improves overall blood flow, and it is also ideal for the proper functioning of the respiratory system.
• It provides maximum rest and conserves energy
Sleeping on the floor allows your baby to have enough rest because your baby will get quality sleep. However, at first, it can be uncomfortable, but as she gets used to it, your baby will enjoy the relaxation effect that it offers.
I have exclusively covered why you should allow your child to sleep on the floor. It helps your child to grow well and attain the right posture when she is growing up. Try it, and you will notice a difference. Free your child from the slavery of cribs and let her enjoy every moment of her childhood.